It was the 50th day of school during the 50th anniversary year for the Schenck School on Mt. Paran Road, so it made perfect sense to have a day to celebrate the 1950s.

The school’s 250 students and all of the faculty members dressed in 1950s attire on Oct. 30 and enjoyed an afternoon sock hop, with cola floats, hula hoop contests and dancing.

The activities were part of the school’s celebration of the anniversary and to honor founder David Schenck, who opened the school in 1959. The Schenck School was the first school in the Southeast for children with dyslexia. It is the only Georgia school accredited by the Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators.

–Scott Bernarde

 

0Shares